FLORAHOLLAND: Turnover first six months slightly higher than last year, logistics services improved again
In the first half of 2018, Royal FloraHolland's turnover was more than 2.6 billion euros, 1.7 percent more than in the first six months of 2018. The average price of flowers was 1.7 percent higher, of houseplants 2.6 percent and 2.2 percent higher for garden plants. The higher prices compensated for the effect of the lower supply. The supply decreased by 0.3 percent, despite a slight increase in the supply of houseplants. In terms of logistics, the figures after the big step in 2018 are again better.
The supply of cut flowers decreased by 0.35 percent while the supply of roses increased by 2.1 percent. April was a top month for the flowers with 10.6 percent more supply and higher prices. The turnover of tulips was 7.6 percent higher with a lower supply (-3.4 percent). The rose continues to lead the way as the most popular flower with 1.6 billion units sold in the first six months. The tulip is a close second with more than 1.4 billion sold. The total number of cut flowers sold via Royal FloraHolland amounted to 5.75 billion, a decrease of 0.8 percent compared to the first six months of 2018.
Turnover for houseplants increased by 2.8 percent as both supply and the average price level increased. Within the group of houseplants, the Phalaenopsis (orchid) is at the top both in terms of turnover and number of pieces. Turnover fell by 2.7 percent, while supplies decreased by 2.9%. Anthurium stands out in the top 5 turnover with a growth of 3.8 percent. 80 percent of all indoor plants are sold through mediation and the other 20 percent through the clock.
The garden plant season had a flying start. Turnover was 56 percent higher in that month than in the same month last year and supplies even 60 percent higher. The warm weather was a huge contrast with the cold month of February 2018. The first half year ended with a turnover increase of 1.25 percent. The supply decreased by slightly more than 1 percent. In total, nearly 276 million garden plants were sold. Lavender leads the turnover ranking with more than 16 million euros.
Clock and logistics
The share of the clock in the total turnover in the first six months compared to the same period in 2018 remained more or less the same at rounded-off 42 percent. The share of direct sales is therefore 58 percent.
The logistical key figures show an improvement in all parts compared to the same period in the previous year. Numerous measures aimed at further optimization are bearing fruit. The lead times were better for both clock transactions and immediately. For clock transactions, 96.3 percent of the transactions were delivered within the agreed time, which is an improvement of 0.5 percentage points compared to 2018. For direct transactions, the lead time in 98.4 percent of the cases is less than 1 hour, previous year was 98.1 percent.
In the run-up to the peak period, Royal FloraHolland implemented various measures to improve services. 15,500 additional stacking carts were purchased, 25,000 additional CC containers were hired and specific process improvements were made per location. In 2019, a start was also made on plants with auctioning one hour earlier. On the four early auction days, between 160,000 and 170,000 transactions were processed per day.